New features in version 3.2.0:
- Joomla 3.1 support
- Added option to insert all parent categories in path ("path way")
- misc bug fixes
New features in version 2.0.0:
- Joomla 2.5 support
- Insert date (based on http://php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php like Zoo's date element)
- Google news numbering (inserts item as at least three digits using the %i placeholder in the date function)
- Insert title instead of slug (to avoid the -2 suffix issue in the URL). This uses the same function that Zoo uses to strip special characters, but it doesn't add -2, or -2-2 to the URL.
- Should be more robust to user errors (for example in case of invalid links)
The date feature is still beta (especially the language dependent part). It should actually work, but it hasn't been tested extensively in multi-language Joomla installations.
As always, please backup and test in a sandbox installation first. Please also keep in my mind, that various settings combinations could create conflicts. Let's say you have two items with two different categories and the same title (of course slugs are different, because Zoo always adds -2 -3 etc) and you decide that you don't want to show the category name in the URL. In that case you would get the same URL for two items (but only one link would be "remembered"). It is your responsibility to ensure that this does not happen.
The plugin doesn't generate any meta data or keywords.
- Download, install and configure Yootheme's Zoo. Before proceeding, ensure Zoo is functioning normally. The plugin does not work with Zoo 2.3.
- Download, install and configure the latest version of JoomSEF. Before proceeding, ensure the JoomSEF is functioning normally.
- Download the zip file, unzip and install either the j15 or j25 version with JoomSEF's "manage extension".
- You might see a message that a newer version is available, but the new version is Artio's paid extension. Do not download or pay :-)
- After installation, please change at least the following setting "manage extensions" -> Zoo -> Common -> ignore multiple sources" to NO.
- You should be able to see SEF URLs for ZOO. If not, please clear the cache and purge any previous SEF or SEO URLs in JoomSEF.
- Your plugin configuration should survive minor updates, but it is always better to backup anyway.
- That should be it. If you have any questions, please post in the forum.
- Troubleshooting 1: If you have any invalid links in your Zoo installation, this plugin will throw an error (which is kind of good, because otherwise you wouldn't have noticed that invalid link?). There are a few ways to create invalid links. One way would be to create a Joomla menu entry for Zoo, but without selecting an item or category from the dropdown list on the right hand side. Another one would be to copy and paste a menu link somewhere but delete that menu later. If you click on such a link, you will get a 500 error (even if your SEF extension is disabled). If you fix these invalid links the error will go away..
- Troubleshooting 2: If you experience any Zoo database errors, then please make sure that your database type is mysqli and not mysql.
The sh404sef and joomsef plugins produce identical SEF URLs with one exception: The sh404sef plugin adds a
?format=feed suffix for feed URLs.
Here is a screenshot of the settings section: